Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Friday, June 11, 2010

Friday Feature - Me Gui Designs

Mei Gui Designs is a wonderful recycling shop! She carries everything from bags to jewelry all made from recycled materials.

Where are you from? Tell a little bit about you.
My name is Julie Rose. I live in Dayton, Ohio with my husband and two wonderful daughters. I am a Literacy Intervention Teacher in the public school system by day and I run my happy little Etsy shop in my “spare” time. I have such a passion for creating and making beautiful things. When I see something I like, I ask myself, “I wonder if I could make that.” I especially like to upcycle and recycle items.

How did you decide on your shop name? Why did you start your business?
Naming my shop was actually very easy. My husband and I adopted our two daughters from China. My last name is Rose and Mei Gui is Chinese for rose. I have always wanted to have a little shop of all handmade items and Etsy makes it so easy. It just gets better and better.

What got you started in recycling?
I have always been a bit “thrifty”. I’ve been known to hang onto something for a few years just knowing that I would use it somehow and someday!

Where do you collect the materials you recycle to make your crafts and what are they?
I love to upcycle clothing/fabric. I get items from my own family or friends that they have outgrown or don’t like. I also like to peruse thrift stores for little treasures. I use old or broken jewelry, buttons, bottle caps and anything else I can find.

What’s your supply addiction? Is there a specific color or type of supply you just can’t pass up?
Well, this is a loaded question!! There are several things I have a hard time resisting. Beads, fabric, designer papers, yarn and fibers, and thread to name a few. I love lots of color so I am usually drawn to colorful items.

What motivates or inspires you to create?
It is just part of me. I feel like I have to feed this creative side of myself. Etsy allows me to not have it stock piled around my house and allows me to be able to afford the supplies I need. I love it.

What items in your shop do you most enjoy making and why?
I love making all my items. However, I guess right now I am really into making the jewelry. The woven necklaces are lots of fun to make. I love lots of color and those allow me to really experiment with colors.

Anything else you would like us to know?
I would just like to thank all those people who buy handmade. It’s wonderful to have the support from buyers who appreciate handmade items. To have someone who likes my work so much that they are willing to buy it is a huge compliment to me. So, thank you!

4 comments:

  1. sounds like a great shop. I love that purse. I made one similar to that a couple years ago after I spotted one at a craft show.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed checking out her shop,so much lovely jewelry! Great interview too:)

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you so much for commenting! I love to hear from you!

 

Design by Custom Blog Designs/FreeStyleMama Creations