Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Featuring - Sly

My husband hates ties! I'm not sure there is a man alive who really does like to wear them. Well, Sandra has some wonderful items that uses all those annoying ties no one wants :)

*Where are you from? Tell us a bit about yourself.
When I was young, my dad was in the military, which meant we moved around a lot. My two sisters and I were constantly exposed to new places and new people. My parents are both very supportive of
creativity; they have always encouraged their daughters' individuality and nurtured our artistic sparks.

*How did you decide on your shop name? Why did you start your business?
I have my awesome husband to thank for my shop name. The Sly Raccoon is one of the various nicknames he has given me throughout our friendship. My monogram spells SLY, and I'm afraid the Raccoon refers to my OCD tendencies and my insufferable attraction to shiny objects and bright, funky fabrics. Thus, I am The Sly Raccoon. I fully embraced the persona of The Sly Raccoon as a means of meditation and release from the hectic day-to-day. When my hands are busy creating, my mind is at ease.

*What got you started in recycling?
"Why recycle?": There is something really inspiring about taking a discarded, unused object and recreating it into an entirely new item. Second chances are hard to come by in this world, The Sly Raccoon is all about rebirth. I love the challenge of scavenging for items awaiting their second chance.

*What’s your supply addiction; is there a specific color or type of supply you just can’t pass up?
Anyone who knows me will tell you that I've always been a thrift store fiend, and if there's a yard sale sign along the road, I've just got to pull over. My husband and I try to maintain a simple lifestyle - we try to buy used items when we can, and we try not to get sucked into the whirlwind commercial society surrounding us. Creating handmade items from recycled materials is my contribution to a world more like the one I think to be ideal.

*What’s your supply addiction; is there a specific color or type of supply you just can’t pass up?
A major addiction in my life is vintage fabric. I can't pass up the chance to snoop through a yard sale or an estate sale in search of materials, and when I go to the thrift store for one or two items, I leave with my arms loaded with vintage linens.

*What motivates or inspires you to create?
The Sly Raccoon is a project inspired by the desire for a more handmade world. Sometimes the mass-produced world surrounding us becomes a little overwhelming for me. Through creating one-of-a-kind items, I bring the world a little closer to the place I'd like to live.

*Which item in your shop did you enjoy making the most and why?
I'm not sure that I have a favorite item in my shop. Lately, though, I've been really enjoying the Necktie Billfolds. It's a lot of fun to scavenge for funky old ties and morph them into snazzy wallets.

*Are there other places on the net we can find you?
The Sly Raccoon has a blog: Tales of a Crafty Scavenger, which can be found at www.slyraccoon.blogspot.com

*What is your favorite shop that uses recycled materials, and/or your favorite blog about recycling?
A blog that I adore is rikrak studio at www.rikrakstudio.blogspot.com where you can find all kinds of fun giveaways and features with an eco-friendly emphasis.

One of my favorite Etsy shops is The Little Prints - it's a shop filled with fantastic treasures made from vintage and upcycled materials. Check out her headbands - they're the greatest!

9 comments:

  1. Thats really neat! Who would have thought about using ties in that way?! Great Shop! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that really is a great idea! I love that last one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm loving those bags just too cool. Now I've got to go check out her blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like those bags! I can identify with her being an army brat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a new follower stopping by from the Over 40 blog hop

    http://ourfullnest.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. How cool! I'm loving these patterns. And I don't blame your husband, I wouldn't want to wear them either. Not unless they were made into adorable purses and wallets anyway!

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you so much for commenting! I love to hear from you!

 

Design by Custom Blog Designs/FreeStyleMama Creations