Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Sunday, June 6, 2010

I Would Pick More Daisies

Have you ever wondered what you would do different if you could start life all over again? I often do. But picking more daisies isn't something I would have thought of :) Found this lovely little story and wanted to share it with you:


I Would Pick More Daisies Don Herold (Adapted)



When the late Nadine Stair of Louisville, Kentucky, was 85 years old, she was asked what she would do if she had her life to live over again.

"I'd make more mistakes next time," she said. "I'd relax. I would limber up. I would be sillier than I have been on this trip. I would take fewer things seriously. I would take more chances. I would climb more mountains and swim more rivers. I would eat more ice cream and less beans. I would perhaps have more actual troubles, but I'd have fewer imaginary ones.

"You see, I'm one of those people who live sensibly and sanely hour after hour, day after day. Oh, I've had my moments, and if I had to do it over again, I'd have more of them. In fact, I'd try to have nothing else. Just moments, one after another, instead of living so many years ahead of each day. I've been one of those persons who never goes anywhere without a thermometer, a hot water bottle, and a raincoat. If I had to do it over again, I would travel lighter than I have.

"If I had my life to live over, I would start barefoot earlier in the spring and stay that way later in the fall. I would go to more dances. I would ride more merry-go-rounds and I would pick more daisies."


Maybe we shouldn't be taking life quite so seriously? I know - sometimes it's really hard to "smell the roses", or even think about having fun, because life is just not what we imagined it would be. But maybe we would be happier if we tried a little harder and focused on all the good in our lives. I'm going to give it a try!

9 comments:

  1. Working where I do, I always get reminders of how we should focus on enjoying life a lil bit each day, and how to think about what's really important!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that is just so interesting, because I often say I'd go back and screw up less. I actually like her perspective! Refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post and great view on life!
    I myself life by the Tom Waits song I don't wanna grow up'

    When I see the price that you pay
    I don't wanna grow up
    I don't ever wanna be that way
    I don't wanna grow up

    Seems like folks turn into things
    That they'd never want
    The only thing to live for
    Is today...

    ReplyDelete
  4. May you each have a bouquet of daisies in your life!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Today is our 29th wedding anniversary. Our plan: to pick a few more daisies this afternoon (so to speak). Thanks for the great story!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great story. A couple months ago I made the decision to make more of an effort to look at the brighter side of things and take time to pick the daisies. So many things that get put off and for no good reason.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've always found this story inspiring! Thanks for the reminder to be more life-loving!

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you so much for commenting! I love to hear from you!

 

Design by Custom Blog Designs/FreeStyleMama Creations