Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Thursday, June 3, 2010

Rhubarb Pie!

We love pie - but don't have it to often. During rhubarb season I usually make a bunch, then during apple season it's apple pie. Can't forget the pumpkin pies in the fall! I'm pretty sure there are 10 pies still in the freezer of various kinds, but I had rhubarb and some strawberries, so thought we'd try some Rhubarb/Strawberry pie. Yum!

I had to put a towel under them, because they were leaking all over! Guess I'll be cleaning the oven tomorrow. I would like to thank the person who invented self cleaning ovens. The best way to clean!! :)

This plastic thingy from Tupperware is the most amazing thing for rolling out pie dough. Just have to sprinkle on some flour - roll out dough - and when all done it wipes totally clean easily. I always hated cleaning the counter after making pies, but this takes care of the mess. Amazing product!

I also made some Rhubarb/Strawberry sauce. This is amazing on crepes, french toast and even ice cream. Though my taste buds where a bit confused by the sweet ice cream and the somewhat tart rhubarb sauce. You can find the recipe HERE.

What do you do with the left over pie dough? My mom always made these. I have no idea what they are called. You roll out the dough, sprinkle it with sugar and cinnamon, roll it up like a cinnamon bun and bake. The boys love these!

What are you baking? I need some more ideas :)

12 comments:

  1. Oooh! Yum! We've cut the first of our rhubarb...and eaten it...but lots of ideas for the next bunch! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made rhubarb pie once but it didn't look as though it had enough liquid so I added more and needless to say I ruined it.

    PussDaddy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny, I haven't had rhubarb and strawberry pie since I left North Dakota. Come to think of it, I'd never even heard of it until I MOVED to ND. Homemade rhubarb pie is the best!!! Yours look delish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Audrey, you are making me hungry! And I have no right to be hungry right now either, I just ate. Stop that! ;-)~

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're giving me the baking bug! I am the only one in my family who likes rhubarb and it just kills me! I can't bake anything with it because I'd be the only one who would eat it, and I WOULD eat it!

    I really like boiling it in sugar water and then just eating it from a bowl too. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never had rubarb pie, but it sounds delicious.
    We sometimes bake blueberry pie and Speculaas muffins (speculaas is a spice mixture that's typical dutch as far as I understand)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your pies look delicious and that ice cream with the sauce, I want a bowl of that right now. My mom used to do the same thing with left over pie crust but we also used to make jelly cookies with the leftovers too. We would roll it out and then cut circles with a glass, put a spoonful of jelly in the center cover it with another circle and seal the edges then bake. Those were my favorites. Haven't thought about those in years

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your pies look soooo good right now! We did something similar with the left over dough. We would roll it out, sprinkle with cinnamon sugar, cut in strips and bake. I've been known to make pie dough just for that!! I'm not doing much baking lately. Trying to lose weight and get the blood sugar under control!

    ReplyDelete
  9. looks yummy... now i'm craving for a strawberry pie:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. YUMYUMYUM !!! i love rhubarb and here in the Northeast those little rolls could be rhubarb rugelah ! ( - you may have invented a new flavor !)

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG! YUM! I love rhubarb/strawberry,rhubarb/raspberry pie! Just look at all those fantastic pies! How do you freeze them and how long do they keep?
    My mother loved to bake and we had fresh cherry pies with cherries from the tree in our yard. She rolled dough out on a cloth.
    The sauce and rolls look and sound fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love rhubarb anything but especially pie. Send one my way please. We roll the pie crust out flat, put in pie plate and sprinkle sugar and cinnamon - not as pretty as yours, but they never last long enough to really cool off.

    And in answer to your last question - baking ????

    Hugs - Marie

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you so much for commenting! I love to hear from you!

 

Design by Custom Blog Designs/FreeStyleMama Creations