Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Thursday, July 1, 2010

Renew Studios Recycled Jewelry

I'm not a big jewelry fan/wearer, however this new shop on Etsy is amazing!! LOVE some of her wonderful creations, they are so original!

*Where are you from? Tell us a bit about yourself.

Hello! I’m Sarah. I currently reside in sunny Melbourne, Florida, but was born and raised a West Virginia girl (Go Mountaineers!). I live here in Florida now, with my wonderful fiancĂ©, our two bunnies and Boston Terrier. I have a lifelong background in art and a bachelor’s degree in Interior Design, so needless to say…I have a creative edge and have a lot of fun coming up with new creations for my shop!

*How did you decide on your shop name? Why did you start your business?
I was brainstorming ideas one day and narrowed my list down to a handful of words, and “renew” just stood out the most to me. I wanted something that could catch someone’s attention and make them wonder what my shop had to offer. It can be thought of as fresh or it can be thought of as earthy, and I wanted it to be able to go either way. I started Renew Studios out of a desire to create. I wasn’t able to snag a job as an interior designer right out of college given the current economic situation, so I was left with a job selling clothes…doing nothing creative. So, my little shop is my answer to that desire. =)

*What got you started in recycling?
I started recycling several years ago when a college roommate of mine got me into it. Long story short, I’ve been recycling everything since then and can’t believe the amount of boxes, jars, etc. that would be in a landfill now if I hadn’t started. Yikes! It has only been within the last year or so that I have been converting this “trash” into art and jewelry. It’s a lot of fun to see something go from “I guess I’ll throw this away” to “Hmmm…I wonder what this would look like as a necklace!”

*What’s your supply addiction; is there a specific color or type of supply you just can’t pass up?
Currently, I’m working on what I’m calling the “Industrial Series” which is made from old leftover building supplies (The rustier, the better! Haha). So, I can’t pass up old screws, hinges, wire, anything of that sort. Every purchase from the “Industrial Series” in my shop supports our local Habitat for Humanity.

*What motivates or inspires you to create?
I love seeing the potential in things. Sometimes I go into thrift stores or antique stores just to get inspiration and ideas on what I can do next. Finding something old and discarded makes me wonder what can be done to it to give it a second life. Maybe it just needs cleaned up a bit or a fresh coat of paint!

*Are there other places on the net we can find you?
Yep! My official website and blog can be found at www.RenewStudiosFL.com and you can find me on Facebook too! (Just search for Renew Studios).

6 comments:

  1. awesome works and so unusual too. the bottlecap/button jewelry is pretty cool :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is cool jewelry!!!

    Thanks Audrey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not a big jewelry girl, either, but I love Sarah's style. Her art background is obvious; beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, how beautifuly unique! I don't think I'll look at hardware the same again!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don' t wear much jewelry but I do like to look at it :) These are some very creative pieces and while I do love the artistic value, I don't think I could ever see myself wearing anything like this.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you so much for commenting! I love to hear from you!

 

Design by Custom Blog Designs/FreeStyleMama Creations