Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Blockhead Production

Blockhead Production is an AMAZING wood shop!! I absolutely LOVE all things wood, and was so happy when Paul agreed to a feature. Paul's shop is on Etsy, he opened it in September 2008 and he lives in Tacoma, Washington. This is just a really wonderful shop, please check it out!!


How did you decide on your shop name? Why did you start your business?
I had this vision of a little wood turner hold crossed tool and his head was a block of wood. My wife and daughter would say it is because I'm a Blockhead at time.
I started this business because my wife and daughter said I should, I needed a venue to showcase my turnings.

When did you start working with wood? Who taught you?
I started as a Cub Scout making the Pinewood Derby Car. My Father was a Master Carpenter and gave me the direction I needed. I followed Father into the Construction Business when I was out of School. I really like to think he would be very proud of the work I do, unfortunately he is no longer with us and never got a chance to see my Turnings OR of the Furniture I have built.


Where do you have your tools? Do you have a picture? If not, what does the space look like?
I actually have a shop just down the street from out Apartment and spend most weekends there working on Bowls and whatnot. No I don't have a picture of my space, it is a total mess. My wife says she will take one when I get it cleaned up. The space is a 12x30 Storage place I rent and works well for me.

What would you love to add to your working space?
A larger lathe but that is out of the question right now...way too much money. One day, at least I can dream of that day.

Do you have a day job?
Oh Lord yes, still have to pay the bills. I work for a High End Kitchen Remodel Company doing these Fantastic kitchens and bathrooms you see in the Magazines. A lot of the wood I use in my Segmented Bowls come from rejected doors and draw fronts, so reclaimed wood is used in a lot of these items featured in my shop..

Which item in your shop did you enjoy making the most and why?
I think my favorite right now is the Diamond Pattern Bowl my wife put in her blog. This bowl was a real challenge to get it all to fit the way I wanted it too. My wife will be adding this bowl as well as some other piece to my shop this week.

7 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for the great feature and showcasing my work. As you can see I am on under the Baroness as I don't have a blog. But I did want to thank you so much. Have a great evening.

    Paul (Blockhead )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Audrey that was such a nice feature..your are a goddess..And like you I love everything wood..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really beautiful items. Thank You for sharing... Hope you have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What gorgeous work! I HAVE to go check out his shop now, thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful work.. I love all things wood! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Audrey, what a lovely feature! Of course I am partial to Papa Blockheads work :) You're going to have him blushing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm also a fan of wood, what a great feature, he's got some amazing stuff

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you so much for commenting! I love to hear from you!

 

Design by Custom Blog Designs/FreeStyleMama Creations