Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Zaaberry

Zaaberry is a wonderful childrens clothing shop just starting out on Etsy!! Ruby lives in Belchertown, MA. Real life keeps Ruby quite busy, but she loves to do custom orders. I wish my boys were still little! This kimono set is just too cute!! Please check out the rest of the items in Ruby's shop - there is an etsy mini at the bottom of the interview with more items from her shop.
#1. How did you decide on your shop name?
My husband came up with my shop name, and he got it from our 2 and half year old daughter. Last summer, when she was about 18 months old, she loved picking raspberries from our garden, but she would call them zaaberries (zah-berries). Since my sewing is mostly for and inspired by my kids, I wanted a shop name that was unique, but reflected their influence. Zaaberry just seemed like the perfect name.


#2. When did you start crafting?
I started crafting as a little girl sewing and knitting clothes for my Barbie dolls. My mother is an avid sewer and she taught me when I was pretty young. I really hit my stride after my daughter was born and I started making fun stuff for her. And now, my new mission is to create great boy clothes. I have an 8 month old son and find it nearly impossible to find boy clothes that don't scream BOY.


#3. Are there other crafts you would like to try?
I've done a lot of crafting. In college I learned to do stained glass and make silver jewelry and I've done a lot of knitting in the past. But I find I do best when I focus. So right now I'm really focused on sewing and designing, so no, for the time being there isn't any other craft I'm dying to try.



#4. What or who inspires you?
All my inspiration comes from my kids and fellow crafters.

#5. Do you have a day job?
I do have a day job. I have a degree in Biochemistry and work part time in a university research lab that studies environmental pollutants that interfere with our bodies normal hormonal regulation. Part of what I enjoy about making clothes for my kids is that some kids clothing, specifically kids pajamas, can be treated with chemicals that may interfere with development.


#6. Which is you favorite item and why?
The baby boy kimono and pant set was the most fun to make. As much I as I want to make stylish boy clothes, it can often be hard to even find fabric for boy clothes that isn't totally blue. So it was fun to try something a little different and be happy with the results.


13 comments:

  1. Love the Kimono! Ruby welcome to Etsy! I live 20 mins from you! Make sure to join the Western MA Steet Team! You can email me! Your stuff is adorable! Thanks Audrey for helping us find each other!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm finding I really need a baby kimono now. Forget the fact that I don't have a baby...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful creations and interesting interview...great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That kimono is just too cute! Loved the interview, it's sweet that a mom can receive that much inspiration from their little ones!

    xo
    Sophie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the Kimono! I did a lot of sewing when my boys were younger and it was quite the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great interview and I love the shop name and its inspiration. Beautiful designs:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an adorable store. Thanks for sharing...I'll have to go take a look :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are so wonderful Audrey!!! You do alot for other shops, and to let you know how much I appreciate it I chose you to receive the "Lovely Blog Award"!!! Choosing my fav 15 wasn't easy as there are so many great ones out there, but you deserve it!! Please visit my blog to see the deatils! Just click on the award to copy and paste to your blog.

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I may need to go borrow a baby!! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good morning Audrey! :)

    She has some cute clothing, I also love kimono styles on little ones.

    http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=24704308
    I love the bold flowers on this little tunic!

    Thanks for showing off such a wonderful Etsian!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such an adorable shop! And so fun that it's children's clothing that is really cute and safe :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful clothes...particularly love the two examples that you picked...the lines...the fabrics...real works of art!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the little dress. Very nice shop!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you so much for commenting! I love to hear from you!

 

Design by Custom Blog Designs/FreeStyleMama Creations