Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Thursday, July 22, 2010

Sew Sweet

For the next 5 months, I'm going to be featuring new shops on Etsy. To start off I found this really wonderful shop with the cutest little girl dresses :) Now if only I had a little girl. Hmmmmm.

*Where are you from? Tell us a bit about yourself.
I grew up in Port Jefferson, NY, a cute little sea town on Long Island with a lot of history. I'm a mom to my nearly two year old son, Wyatt, a wife to my husband, Tom, a fifth grade teacher and a crafter among other things. I've finally concentrated on sewing, although I knit, scrapbook... I could go on and on! You'll notice my shop currently carries lots of dresses for little girls, although I have a son! I started sewing in college when I worked for a craft store and that was when my first niece was born. She's now 10 and I have four other little girls in my life that I love to create for. Oh, I make things for my son too! He has plenty of blankies and hats and jackets that I've made for him and I'll be adding adorable baby shoes and slippers for girls AND boys to my shop soon, so check back!

*How did you decide on your shop name? Why did you start your business?
I started my business because I can't sit still! Plus, sewing allows me to relax and create at the same time. I started making the dresses for friends and family, then began a few small craft shows with the encouragement of a friend, and finally decided to list on Etsy! I love to be busy and people sometimes wonder how I do it. It's hard working full time and caring for a family, but it does bring me peace of mind to zone out and stitch. I usually sew when my son naps and after he goes to bed, so that the time when we are home together can be filled with Thomas the Train and playdates. The extra money's not bad either!

*What or who inspires you?
Aside from little girls and fabric stores and browsing Etsy, I get my inspiration from my mom. She has been a collector of artist bears for years and years and I've brought a few home myself. By exposing me to these works of fiber art my mother showed me the value of one of a kind, careful stitching and attention to detail that I carry over into everything I create.

What are 5 things you want people to think when they see your product?
Sweet, functional, made with love, pleasing to the eye, got to have it!

*What’s your supply addiction; is there a specific color or type of supply you just can’t pass up?
The fabric store is a dangerous place! I often bring up 8 bolts of fabric and have to pare it down to like 3. I'm really drawn to the kind of odd ball funky fabrics, but I have to remember that I'm not sewing for me. My Secret Garden dress is kind of a window to what I love, so I'll be trying to bring some more of that in.

*What do you do when you’re not being an artist? What activities do you enjoy?
I love to read! In order to inspire reading in my students I try to read as many newly released children's novels as possible. My classroom library is well stocked and I boast every year that I've read nearly all of them. The kids' eyes boggle, but I do it so they know that I can genuinely recommend a book to them because I've read it myself. Youth literature is just like sewing for children. They can be finished quickly and you are satisfied with the ending.

*Which item in your shop did you enjoy making the most and why?
I love the cupcake dress for the fabric, but I love making those onesie dresses! I could just eat them up! My favorite thing about them is the applique. I choose it from a piece of fabric the skirt is made from (in most cases) and it just feels like a personal touch from me. I plan to make one with the cupcakes next....maybe with an applique on the tush?

*Are there other places on the net we can find you?
YES! I am so excited! Just last night I got a "vanity" URL for my facebook page. You can find me at facebook.com/ursewsweet. I have a lot of pics and info on there, so check it out! Thanks!


9 comments:

  1. Great feature! When I first opened my shop, I made pillowcase dresses...they're just quick and easy and the fabric options are endless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interview and the work is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adorable dresses!!! No little girls here either.

    <><

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great interview and really cute dresses!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful feature here :) Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great interview! I too am hoping for a little girl someday, as I can't resist all the cuteness!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh those are sweet little dresses. I don't have any little girls to give them to either

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic feature! I just love all those dresses. I wish I had a little girl.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you so much for commenting! I love to hear from you!

 

Design by Custom Blog Designs/FreeStyleMama Creations